Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Great Lakes Lovin'

When I was in elementary school my family took a skiing trip to the Porcupine Mountains. While there, I had my breath taken away by my first Great Lake, Lake Superior.



After seeing such an incredibly large and awe-inspiring body of water, I was hooked.  I wanted to know more about these "inland oceans" and I wanted to see them all.  Later in my life I was fortunate to venture off to see all of the other lakes.  Some got more enjoyment than others.

For example, Lake Huron was viewed from the terrifying Mackinac Bridge:

Unfortunately there's no image from my trip over the bridge, I'm 99.9% sure I was white knuckling the grab handle on my side of the car for the entire duration of its crossing.

Lake Erie and I also had a rather brief encounter.  My mom and I were on a road trip that went through Cleveland, Ohio, home of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  We stopped there, and it just so happened that the museum sat right next to Lake Erie.

My first real view of Lake Ontario came upon a visit to a friend in Toronto, whose fabulous apartment had views of the city's downtown and Lake Ontario.

My heart belongs to Lake Superior though, and multiple trips have taken place because of that love.  Whether it was just in Duluth visiting:

Or in the Upper Peninsula backpacking:


Don't fret though, my love for Lake Superior does have a rival, the one lake that I have yet to mention...

Lake Michigan!


Moving to Milwaukee in 2008 was difficult for me.  It was the largest city that I had ever lived in, and I came here not really knowing anyone or anywhere.  Even as a stranger I felt at home though when I walked a block from my apartment and saw Lake Michigan.  While trying to find my footing in a new city I could always just walk a bit and see a familiar friend.  Over the years I have moved even closer to the lake, and I have never once taken it for granted that on my walk to the bus and my walks to work I'm lucky to be able to take all of its beauty in.

Over the past five years I've been able to enjoy all of the recreational benefits of living near Lake Michigan and its beaches.  
Nice walks along the beach in the spring and fall

Snowshoeing in the winter

And fishing in the summer (no westies were fished in the making of this photo)

Now I have been presented a chance to give back to Lake Michigan what it has given to me.  For my Academic Service Learning component of my Conservation and Environmental Sciences course I have registered to volunteer with Alliance for the Great Lakes.  With the Alliance I will be volunteering for their Adopt-a-Beach program, an opportunity that allows for the monitoring and clean up of a beach along Lake Michigan. 




No comments:

Post a Comment